Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I Could Use a Little Less Fibro

Fibro. Short for fibromyalgia, which means muscle pain all over all the time, chronic fatigue, insomnia, memory lapse, depression, blurred vision, IBS, itchy skin, and worth mentioning one more time, severe muscle pain. Looking back, I've had fibromyalgia since I was 13. The past 5 years it has gotten worse. The past two years unbearable at times. Two things have been most difficult the past few months:  I have the desire to run 100 miles an hour and commit to things I once was able to do, but I no longer have the physical or mental capacity to do it. It's been a big adjustment to scale back on just about everything. The hardest part is talking about it. Most people think that if I cut out gluten or dairy or sugar it will solve the problem. I wish it was that easy, but those solutions haven't worked. Others suggest lots of exercise. I try but for every 30 minute walking outing I make I end up in bed for a day or two. The hardest to deal with is the insomnia. There will be two to three days in a row of only 3-4 hours of sleep. Then the crash comes with two days of only wanting to sleep. It is so inconsistent. I've done every legal treatment under the sun (minus dancing naked under the moon around the Grand Canyon rim). Thankfully chiropractic care and massage therapy work best for me, but they are expensive, so treatments are minimal. I really like PanAway essential oil, too. It doesn't upset my stomach like ibuprofen or aspirin. Ryan and the kids are very patient with my forgetfulness and pajama attire. My cats love having a snuggle buddy, too.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Jenn I had no idea! Sorry. (I've only gotten to this post 3 months late too. I wish I lived closer and could help you out more. For all you deal with I'm sure no one on the outside has a clue how much you deal with on the inside. Love you!