Friday, May 28, 2010

For the Grandparents

My mom called me yesterday and told me I need to give more updates on what my family is up to, and after a long conversation of trying to convince her to get on Facebook where she can read daily updates, she still refuses to join. Everyone keep sending her requests to join –perhaps she will give in! Here are the updates, mom and dad!
Ryan: I think he has learned the secret to cloning himself, because he gets the work of five men done each day. He has managed to play in the American Philharmonic Orchestra, put holes in the ceiling to pull various wires for the home theater, patch the holes, create framework, drywall, paint, and other complicated things to make us a high-end theater system (this ain’t your RC Willey demo room type system –it is the real deal), served in church callings, taught Travis to ride a bike, takes the kids out on errands, cooks dinner, cuddles, and helps with endless math homework. Now, if I can get him to load the dishwasher, then I will consider him 110% perfect.
Jenn: PTA is finally winding down. I’ve held meetings, budget adjustments, yearbook orders, helped out with Field Day, Earth Day assemblies, Read-a-Thon night, book fair, Teacher Appreciation Week where I decorated bulletin boards for teachers, held a volunteer appreciation luncheon, etc. It was a fun and busy year and I’m glad I only have 31 days left, but who’s counting? To celebrate the end of the year, I took the kids out of school for four days (gasp!) and went with a friend to St. George. My friend needed help watching her daughter while she attended training classes and we needed a vacation, so it was the perfect fit. I spent my days with four great kids swimming, riding scooters, playing at the playground, splash park, and visited one too many McDonalds play lands. It was a lot of work for me but relaxing at the same time. I’ve gotten back into a good workout routine and spend an hour or so a day exercising. I take care of the chickens and do lots of yard work. Got some flowers planted and they have all survived the chilly nights May has brought. I’m on a reading kick reading about books that break my heart but also bring me closer to understanding humanity and how blessed I am to live in America. I recently finished Half the Sky, Three Cups of Tea, and just started on The History of America. That one is 600 pages long but I hope to finish it in a month.
Rachel: Rachel is beyond excited that I’m her new Activity Days leader. They haven’t had Activity Days in months and Rachel has never had me as her leader or teacher in anything. I’m glad I get to work with her! Rachel has been getting excellent grades and is one of her teacher’s favorite students. This summer she is going to take sewing classes, participate in Arts in the Park, use her unlimited pass to Lagoon, and is looking forward to our trip to California, Oregon, and Washington. I can’t wait to show her the miles I had to ride my bike to friend’s houses and activities so she won’t complain about having to walk two blocks to visit her friends.
Trent: Yesterday I caught Trent throwing rockets, parachute guys, and paper airplanes outside of his sister’s window. If he isn’t jumping off of something like the stairs, his bed, the trampoline, the deck, over a fence, or off a bike ramp, then he is begging to have his friends Caden or Diesel come over. Which brings me to another thought: I used to think Leonard, Lonnie, and Loren were funny names for Dad and his brothers. But when I look at the names Trent, Caden, and Diesel together, I will say to Dad and my uncles that your names are very normal.  Trent’s teacher is from Australia and she calls him a “jack rabbit” because he is so speedy and smart and anxious in everything he does. He is quite the little artist and comes home with some great artwork. It is plastered in the “Gallery of Upstairs” in his bedroom. Trent looks forward to Arts in the Park, Lagoon, scout day camp, and swimming this summer.
Travis: Ryan and I were in the house cooking dinner when I noticed Travis steadily zip by the house. I then realized he was balancing perfectly on his bike and zipping by while riding it! That little dude is an example of try and try again and will stick to something for months if it takes to master it. He is so proud of himself! Travis performed in a school musical and did all the actions and songs perfectly. We were so happy as at first we didn’t think he’d participate at all. Travis really is our Forest Gump, and like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get with him. But every chocolate he gives is so yummy! Travis can’t wait for school to be done. I don’t think he realizes yet he gets to repeat kindergarten (this is a wanted blessing). He is excited for the new Cars movie to come out and Toy Story 3 and looks forward to the endless trips to Lagoon this summer and swimming. His favorite TV show is Kick Buttowski. When I ask him questions, his answers usually have to do with “nachos” which is something Kick Buttowski likes. He also runs around with his fingers pointed in the air in the shape of a trigger gun and then he jumps, all excited, like Kick Buttowski. Hey, at least he’s not into ninja fighting like Power Rangers or anything.
So, there is the update. I’ve got to go do some PTA stuff and to the mall (I hate the mall) but I need some new shoes. My old flip flops are now the chicken shoes and all the yucky stuff that comes with owning chickens gets stuck to those shoes, so I need a new pair of non-chicken flip flops. Take care to all who read this! -Jenn

1 comment:

Lewis Family said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the updates for us non-facebook people. I am sure it is fun, but I just can't go there. I know I would become consumed by it!