Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Busy May

I have a problem where I don't tell enough about what our family is up to. I have an even bigger problem with taking pictures. Almost daily I put my huge and heavy old camera in my purse with the intention of taking photos, but between chasing Travis out of puddles and him running away, the photos never seem to happen. May was a busy and fun month. Here is the rundown:

Jenn confirmed she's a home-body: I prefer to stay home. But, to add discomfort to my comfortable life, I stepped out of my comfort zone and I went to BYU Women's Conference with a neighbor where I realized my EFY days will never be relived the same way. We stayed in the dorms and did the hang out thing like old college days where 3 of the ladies gathered to color their hair strange shades of red at midnight and 9 out of 12 women scrunched in the tiny dorm room admitted to being on some sort of depression medication (I was one of the 3 unmedicated) which confirmed my personal generalized statistic that 75% of LDS Utah women are on some form of happy pills. Before I upset anyone, I realize depression is very real, but it is sobering to discover so many people have issues with it. I skipped classes and went on a walk all over campus and enjoyed not having one thought interrupted for over an hour. Bliss. I also enjoyed taking my mom out to lunch for an early Mother's Day treat at the Sky Room on BYU campus. Yummy! Oh, and did you notice I forgot to take pictures?

12th Anniversary: Can you believe we've been married for twelve years? Looking back, we can't believe that our parents let us marry so young. However, we love each other even more than ever. The next day and Ryan and I went to Park City for our 12th anniversary. I had a nasty cold but we still enjoyed it. We visited with Ryan's old missionary companion Thomas at his family gallery www.hopegallery.com. It was nice to be surrounded by incredible and near priceless art and talk about the good ol' missionary days. We then ate up at Quiznos and Coldstone and watched TV for hours. Ryan was sweet to let me take it easy while being sick. The next day we did some shopping and driving around. I managed to get a picture of where we stayed, but not of us. Go figure.



But, here are some candid pictures we scanned in from our wedding day. We were a year or two shy of the whole digital thing.






New bed: After months of complaining about waking up with aching backs each day, we went and bought a new bed. Ahh, relief! Guess what, no more back pain!

New workout routine: I have a friend I met at PTA who is the type that puts my whining into action. She said she'd knock on my door at 6 a.m. every morning to have me walk/jog with her. Well, the threat worked and I've been going out with her every weekday for over a month. I look the same, but my endurance is uber-better. Now, if she threatened to knock at my door and yell at me whenever I ate a treat . . . I may look like my wedding pictures again!

Last but not least, I QUIT my job! Yep, gas and food prices are going up, we are trying to establish a strong savings, and I quit my job in the process. I've been thinking of doing it for years, but as usual there is always some major repair or bill to pay. However, this year about did me in, so I quit. My family needs me and I need them. My health needs more attention. And Travis especially needs constant interaction to improve his autism. I feel fine about it. I'll be training and hiring new staff but am cutting the phone lines when the charity begins in October. Perhaps I will enjoy the holidays for once this year.

2 comments:

Olivia Petty said...

Thank you so much for putting SOMETHING on your blog!!!! Glad to hear from you and your doing betters, and your trublums.

Melissa said...

Jenn,

I'm so glad to see (and read) that your family is doing well. Your kids are getting so big!

Question for you...what kinds of positions will you be hiring for for Sub For Santa? I'm tossing around the idea of getting a job, since my husband was laid off, and remember loving the work I did (for that extremely short amount of time) at United Way a few years ago. I would be really interested in getting involved with the Sub for Santa program! If you could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Melissa