Monday, January 07, 2008

Autism

Travis was diagnosed with mild autism in November. For those who aren't familiar with autism (we're still learning) it is a spectrum disorder. It really varies from kid to kid. The one thing autistic kids do have in common is something isn't quite right socially or with the way they communicate. The good news is he isn't sick, it is not life threatening, and though we have challenges with his behavior, he is a completely normal kid most of the time. He attends a preschool two days a week where he gets 30 minutes of individual speech and social therapy each day. He has made some noticable progress the past 6 weeks already! Here is a description of Travis I wrote to some friends back in November:

"I've been emotional but hopeful things will be okay. I have noticed many of the signs since he was 18 months (but kept hoping he would grow out of it), but some things have been going on since he was 6 months old. If any of you met him, you wouldn't see a problem at first, but hang out for a day and you would notice.

What I consider his silly though somewhat odd behaviors are: obsession with the vaccuum cleaner or fans for hours on end, spinning everything, squinting his eyes whenever food enters his mouth, mouthing things like he is a baby, moderate hand flapping, busy ALL THE TIME without stopping unless we put him in his crib; takes apart complicated items like clocks, outlets (yes, he's been shocked) and remote controls. Lastly, my good eater is suddenly picky. He used to eat dozens of foods and now we can only get 10 items in his tummy.

What concerns me the most as well as the doctors and therapists are: zero conversation, can't say "yes", doesn't use "I", and jibber-jabbers everything. However, the kid does have a huge vocabulary, just doesn't know how to use it together. For example, he can sing songs word for word at perfect pitch. He knows every shape, letter, color (has for almost a year) and can sign 50 or so words in sign language. He memorizes scripts, TV shows, commercials, etc. and repeats them word for word. But, if we are in the drive through at McDonald's and I ask him, "Travis, would you like chicken nuggets or a hamburger?" He repeats back, "Travis, would you like chicken nuggets or a hamburger?" That is all he can do. Repeats anything I ask him.

The good news is he had good social interaction, eye contact, and is the cuddliest and funniest little guy and we love him to death. There are 3 children/teens with Asperger's syndrome in our neighborhood and five, yes, FIVE neighbors with autistic children (yes, we do think there is something wrong with the environment). The flip side is there is a great and knowledgable support system. I'll keep you updated with his progress as time goes on. It's been a emotional week, but he's the same kiddo I've always had and I love him, so I know it will be okay. Thanks for reading if you got this far."

No comments: