Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Backyard Chickens





We are now backyard chicken owners! There are five 10 month old hens who are all grown up and laying eggs. Two are buff orpingtons, two Rhode Island Reds, and one Delaware. The kids call the white one Minerva Louise (after the popular book) and the friendly buff one Alice. The others, well, are called chickens. The kids are having a blast taking care of them. Trent, our resident animal whisperer, attracts the chickens the most. He holds all of them and pets them and they just hover around him. He is earning money collecting the extra eggs, cleaning them, and selling them to two of our neighbors for $2 a dozen. His first delivery is today after school and he is very excited.

3 comments:

Christine said...

I love it! Chickens aren't allowed in our backyards. We have cats and a possum that visits frequently though. Love fresh eggs!

I would love to see you when we come up for women's conference! We are flying up late after noon on April 28th and will be flying home Saturday morning.

Lewis Family said...

I never thought I would say this but you make me want chickens!

Neva said...

Thanks for taking good care of my grandchickens. I'm sad they had to leave home.
Grant's mom, granny